Saturday, May 09, 2009

The Rookery


There is Great Blue Heron rookery on Long Lake that has been in the same area for many, many years. I stopped by yesterday to try to get some photos. The herons were not exactly thrilled to see me. When I got out of the car with my camera in hand they all ducked down in their nests and refused to peek out. I could hear an occasional bit of muttering from them. (If you have ever listened to herons you know what I mean.) After awhile I gave up, got back in my car and drove slowly around a loop and back to the rookery area. This time I parked beyond it a bit, then got out and walked back toward them. That's when I got several photos of them... a few ignoring me, some glaring at me from their nests (well, at least keeping a sharp eye on my movements) and one that was afraid to land in it's nest on it's first few approaches because of my presence. If you would like to see the full set of photos just click on the title to this entry.


No comments: